Saturday, January 23, 2010

Race day

Day 23: Today was the 10K. I went out this morning not quite as raring to go as I was hoping for, but ready nonetheless. There is nothing quite like standing in a crowd of 800 runners ready to get rolling. It's pretty cool. I ran the first mile in just under 9 minutes, so I sped up a little and got the second mile down in 8.5 minutes. I kept that pace up for most of the run. I think I could have pushed harder and run a little faster, but I was afraid of losing steam at the end if I pushed too hard. When we rounded the corner and started heading back on the loop is when I decided I was going to catch every girl in front of me. I was passing folks in the last mile and feeling great, and then that final hill came and I slowed down more than I wanted to and really had to pea, so I was struggling a little bit. One of the girls I had passed, passed me... but only one! And I was hoping to run in under 55 minutes, and I just barely made it at 54.48. So, overall I am pleased. My legs aren't too sore and I feel pretty good. And now, I have a time to beat. I may start picking one of my runs through the week to do sprints to help build some speed. Because next time, not even that one girl is going to pass me at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment