Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lucky number seven

Day 7: I cannot decide if I should just start counting down or keep counting up. Seven days seems so short (although it is definitely the most days I've run in a row) but saying I have 358 days left seems so long. For now, I'll just count up and then maybe around half way, I'll start counting down......
Today was 37 degrees outside, and just as I suspected, it felt really nice out. I ran with no gloves, fewer layers, no "ninja" head cover, it was awesome. I was feeling pretty good. I started out really strong and set the goal of 6 miles. About 4.5 miles in my legs started to feel like rubber. I knew that my legs would be tired, I just had no idea they would quite feel like this. I didn't have any issue continuing but I was surprised by how strange my legs felt. As I was rounding the bend about half a block from my house, I couldn't quite convince my legs to step up on the curb, or at least I didn't think I could, so I just stayed on the street. When I stopped running I felt so odd, like I couldn't stop moving or my legs might collapse. So I wandered around my house for about 15 minutes and then started stretching. What I have noticed thus far about this plan is that I can't seem to muster the energy to get frustrated about the house being messy (which may or may not be a good thing... seeing as no one else seems to be terribly bothered by the mess either....) or about my children being defiant. It all seems to roll of my shoulders... for now. I am sure eventually I will acclimate to this schedule and it will not have the same effect. But the best part about it is that the winter is not bothering me. When I came up with this idea it was because I was trying to think of something... anything... that would keep me from having the same long, stressful winter I had last year. The weather was yucky, our businesses were struggling (as were lots of people, yet some people tell me the recession is just an attitude... uh huh, one that too many people seem to be sharing...) and I was miserable. I had this constant stress ache in my stomach about money and resources and I didn't want to go outside or do anything. I knew this winter, business wise, was probably not going to be a vast improvement over last year, and we had already had some cold blasts in the fall that seemed to portend a hard winter ahead. I knew I had to do something. Why I chose to run outside only for 365 days, I am not sure, but no other feasible idea came along... so I am rolling with it. And thus far, it seems to be working. The cold weather is not nearly bothering me as much and I have something else to focus on besides the finances of my businesses (or lack there of). And even if the tax man wants to back charge me for purchases over the internet, at least he is mostly done with me...for now. Anyhow, back to running... the real point of this blog... tomorrow I think I may do three miles and call it good. My legs are pooped! Oh yeah, I ran 6 miles in 53 minutes, which is a great time for me! Go figure. So my total mileage thus far is 29.60 miles. I also signed up for the hot chocolate 10k on January 23, it should be fun. Oh, and I was sooooo excited to see I have five followers!!! Yay! That will help me on those days when I really don't want to run!

1 comment:

  1. I'm ecstatic you are putting up this tenacious effort to run every day in 2010. One observation concerning your leg issues from today - bottles of wine for lunch may cause a rubbery sensation in them! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete