Monday, January 4, 2010

Cold and colder still

Day 4: Alright, no end to this cold spell in sight. I know most of the country is affected; even Florida is bloody cold. So, I won't whine too much about the temperature, but I recall running every other New Years day over the last four years in shorts... IN SHORTS! So, needless to say this is different. My day got away from me, due to an upcoming audit on one of the businesses, and I got a late start. I was relatively anxious to get going because I would prefer not to run in the dark, if at all possible. My husband let me borrow his wind proof socks, and those things are awesome. My ankles were not cold today. It was 22 degrees, it felt a lot warmer than the previous two days... at first. And then the wind decided to visit. My lips are soooooo dry and my nose too. I don't really feel like I can smile lest something crack and begin to bleed. For the first mile to mile and a half, I was feeling alright. I began to think about the fact that I was born, in the middle of August, in the middle of the desert. No wonder I don't like the cold. I am pretty sure that I spent the first four years of my life barely clothed. It wasn't until some old guy in our trailer park pointed out that "a girl my age" should probably wear a shirt, that I decided clothing was appropriate. So anyway... the run... it was pretty nice. I was so caught up with the cold that I wasn't really paying attention to how difficult or not the run was. It wasn't until the last mile, while running up my least favorite hill in Asheville, that my lower calf muscles were aching a bit. It could be the cold or the tightness with which I hold my body to brace against the wind... or four days in a row of running.... I don't know which. I have run four days in a row it just hasn't happened in what seems like a really long time. So, I guess we shall see.... I ran for 39 minutes, I think 4.2 miles, but again, I need to check. I realize I am going to have to get better at tracking my miles and my time. Four days down... somewhere around 16.2 miles this week... I have yet to do my run over five miles this week... perhaps tomorrow or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment