Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dr. Jekyl and Mrs. Hyde

How two days of running could be so vastly different....

Day 78: Being in the 70's feels good... Friday. Sunny. Warm. Excellent day for a run. My girlfriends were going to be heading over for the beginning of Friday night porch time, which happens early Spring to late, late Fall or early winter. Sometimes we do it on Saturdays, but mostly it happens on Fridays. So, I was ready when I got home from work to get out, to get running. And, I did. There was just one problem. The five mile route I had planned on doing had to be cut short because my legs felt like lead bricks. I mean nothing good was coming out of them today. I ended up doing a 3.5 mile route and kind of hating it. I was slightly frustrated, except I remembered that I have run through snow, ice, torrential rain, well below freezing temperatures and while very sick. I have run more than I honestly would have ever expected. I have surprised myself on many occasions, so I took today in stride. I would rather my legs not feel like 50 lb flour bags, but sometimes they do. I was happy when the run was over and I took a little nap in the sun on the porch before my shower. One thing I did realize, however, is that I really didn't stretch enough the last few days. So I did make sure to stretch adequately today.
And then I hung out with my girlfriends, it was great!

Day 79: So, today I decided to take it light and easy. Give my legs some easy running...as I am planning on a long run tomorrow (and then a gigantic brunch... which we can discuss later why I haven't lost any weight on this project, ahem....) Anyway, it was sunny and amazing again today. I spent way too much time in the sun. Got a little sunburn. I sanded the outdoor tables for the patio at the coffee shop and thought about not running. I thought about how nice it would be to laze around and do nothing else for the day. And as I was thinking this, my body was automatically suiting up for running. I put on my jog bra, my shorts, tied up my shoes and then I was out the door. I have learned that once I get dressed I am as good as running. I went out to do the neighborhood 5k and ended up doing five miles because I was having such a nice run. My legs were light and mobile. I was enjoying letting my mind wonder and looking at people's landscaping. The weather could not have been more perfect. It was so Mrs. Hyde to yesterdays Dr. Jekyl. It was really awesome. I made sure to stretch thoroughly afterward, because I am hoping for a really good run tomorrow. And, I'm almost at day 80... although, that does still mean I am not even a third of the way yet....so, I'm afraid to get too excited. Ah, yes... I will always temper all excitement with reality... maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's not... maybe I'm Dr. Jekyl and Mrs. Hyde all on my own... hmmm, I guess I'll have to think about that on my run tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment