Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sometimes friends are all the sunshine you need

Day 36: Slushy! At least most of the ice is gone, but it has been replaced by slush and mud and muck. There was no school again today. It mostly rained. It was pretty yucky. I got home from work and went straight for a run because I knew if I waited I would not go. I'm fighting the winter doldrums and I am not sure that I am winning. At least the temperature was holding above freezing. I ran the 5k in 26 minutes, so I could get it out of the way. I had the energy for a longer run, just not the time. Maybe on Sunday I can fit in 6 or more miles. I'm feeling the ache for a satisfyingly tiring run. Three mile runs have become so ordinary and dull. But many days that is all I can fit in. So, that is what I have to take.

Day 37: I went with my two great girlfriends for a MUCH needed girls spa day. Then we had lunch and shared a bottle of wine... then we went shopping... chatting all the way... and then it was like, "Oh, yeah! I have to go run!" So luckily for me, I have really good friends. We went and got their running shoes and clothes and headed out to the historic cemetery in the neighborhood. It was really nice to go out and run with friends. My pace currently is faster than theirs, so at a few points I ran ahead or did an extra loop, but it was great that they helped me get out there and do it another day! It is better than medicine to just hang out and vent and laugh and do those things that girls do. My spirits are certainly lifted even if it's still gray and mushy outside. And so, February marches on... thankfully it's a short month!

No comments:

Post a Comment