Sunday, April 11, 2010

Vacation and 100 days

Day 95: Went out this a.m. before coffee, which I try not to do as I am a serious coffee addict. Ran four miles in good time. It was fun. Birds were chirping, tulips are budding, beautiful... and then I have to get ready for VACATION.

Day 96: Drove into FL, hit the beach for a few hours, and made it to Disney by 5:30. Clair and I had a cocktail, unpacked the bags, got the boys to the pool, and then took a run. The cocktail had the effect of making everything seem easy and rosy. We didn't run for more than 35 minutes, but it was fun and easy. A perfect vacation run.

Day 97: We went to Universal studios today. I can tell you that I am NOT an amusement park person. Crowds are not my favorite thing and I can handle some of the rides. It was a full day of battling crowds, sun and walking. We got back to the room at 6:45 and I was feeling pretty beat. I put on my shoes and went for it. The temperature was perfect, the sun was low on the horizon, and the resort where we stayed (a fake version of New Orleans) was perfect for running. It was full of foliage and I could run along the "riverbank". My legs pretty much felt like rubber, but I did it. And having a little time to myself was a welcome reprieve.

Day 98: I made the smart choice and ran this morning before we went to the parks. Again, the weather could not have been more perfect. And I went a little further and explored more of the resort where we are staying. I got some strange looks, and I did note that I only saw one other person running the entire time I was there... I guess it isn't always a priority.

Day 99: Water park day! It started out cool and rainy, so the crowds were minimal. The sun finally broke through the clouds and I did some fun slides with my boys. I had a few beers in the afternoon and a lot of time in the sun, so again my run was a "vacation run". It was slow and easy and my limbs flung around me like wet socks. I sweat and was breathing hard and was happy when it was done. And, now I am over running at Port Orleans.

Day 100: It took 12.5 hours to get back, instead of 9.5. Dallas got sick with a stomach thing, and then Clair got sick with the same thing. We got four hours of sleep before we left, and everyone was shot when we got back. I unpacked the car and put on my shoes, because I knew if I got to comfortable in the house, I would not go. I REALLY, REALLY did not want to go. So, I compromised and did the neighborhood 5k. The weather in Asheville this evening was stunning! The sun was going down, you could hear the tree frogs a chirpin', there were lots of folks out running, and it was good to be home. My legs are definitely feeling the use of theme park walking, but getting out of the car was a good thing. Have you ever noticed, though, how sitting in the car all day makes you feel more like sitting then standing? It's funny how the leg fatigue sets in after a long car ride.

Day 101: I got out on my five mile route and definitely got bugs in my teeth from smiling so much while running. It was good to be on familiar ground, nice to run when I wanted to, and good that my legs were feeling strong. The weather right now is AWESOME! It's 72 and sunny, but not humid or muggy, not too hot and just a little cool with a light breeze. In short, perfect running weather. I had a great day getting things done and ready to start my week, and then, a good run. All in all a grreat Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment