Saturday, October 9, 2010

The shortest and longest three miles

So, running.... and running and running. The fall weather has made running easier. I can go pretty much at any time of day without much difficulty with either heat or cold. It makes running more convenient when temperature is not a big factor. But I do know that the last few days/weeks of my goal will probably not hold the same beneficial temperature. But I will just stay present. Let's see... I was sick last week, just a mild stomach thing with a real low grade temperature, but making myself get out of bed to run was VERY difficult. It was like many other runs, and once I was started, it was fine to keep going. I only did three miles, but it went by relatively quickly. In fact, it felt short. I don't know if it was because my head and body were somewhere else or what, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was back at my driveway and finished with day 274. However, when I stopped running my head immediately started spinning and I felt as if I might pass out. I had to sit down but then my stomach started turning and I had to get up and then I had to throw up and then I had to sit down again and then I felt hot as hell and had to try and strip off all of my clothes and then I got terribly chilled and had to find a blanket and then I had to use the bathroom (not to throw up but equally as unpleasant) and then I had to lie down and then I was so thirsty I couldn't stand it. And I went through the hot flash/cold flash/lie down/sit up thing for quite a bit. I didn't think I was going to be okay, in fact for a minute there I just wanted someone to club me over the head. Things started to calm down after a bit and I just stayed in bed for the rest of the day. I was a little afraid to run the next day, but I was feeling better and I did the neighborhood 5k and only felt slightly lightheaded and chilled afterward. Then I wasn't sick anymore and had a beautiful 5.5 mile run on Sunday (day 276). We went to Atlanta on day 277, I did pilates first and then ran four miles so I would have plenty of time to pack for our trip. In Atlanta, Jacob and I ran 4.5 miles to get our car that we had left at the restaurant. It is nice to run in another city. We ran through their botanical gardens and around this recreational park. And through a pretty nice neighborhood. The last mile wasn't as nice as it was in a very busy commercial part of town. But then we were at the car and drove it back to the hotel (having had a little much wine for driving the night before). The second night in Atlanta, we went to another concert. That show did not start until 11:40 and went until almost 1 am. We got back to the hotel and got to bed about 1:30. We had to get up at 6 to drive back and get to work. And let me just tell you that I DO NOT function very well on less than 7 hours sleep. I felt like I was sleep walking all day and all I wanted to do was go back to bed. But I couldn't. The boys had drum lessons and football games and there was shit to do. oh, and I had to run. And that brings me to the longest three miles I can remember running. Day 280, I ran so slow and so aimlessly that I wasn't really sure if I was going to finish. The run felt interminable. And all I was was tired, really tired. The run only took me 35 minutes but it felt like an hour. I was sooooo happy when I got in my bed that night. And now I'm back to just enjoying this beautiful, and I mean beautiful, Asheville fall weather. I had a great run yesterday, day 281, 5 miles. And I plan on a great run today and maybe even a long run tomorrow. I love fall in Asheville!

No comments:

Post a Comment