Sunday, July 4, 2010

Running as escape and distraction

Days 167 to 185: I am halfway through the year!!!! It feels really good to be here. Now, each day when I run I feel like I am getting closer to my goal. It's funny how fast the year is flying by... now, sometimes when I dread running, it feels like it's been going on forever. But by and large, it is zooming away.

With the boys at camp, I was sure getting in my runs would be easier. And many days it is, not having children time constraints as a consideration for my day. But, somehow, I have managed to work a lot of the time... picking up shifts, covering for people, being called in because my kids are gone, blah blah... and so that has made many days squeezed. However, when my in-laws invited themselves for a visit, it was a GREAT excuse to escape my house. I took some really great, long runs on those days! Otherwise, my minimum at this point is about 4.5 miles. And most days that is what I do, but some days I add a mile and a half, depending on my time and how hot it is outside. That is one thing about the summer days, if I don't get out on my run first thing in the morning, then I have to wait until 7:30 to run. Except for today, where I had to run in the heat of the day, since I've been called into work. Apparently other restaurants in town decided to close for the Fourth of July... and so we are one of the few places open... and therefore, overbooked. Oh boy! I figured I had better stop cleaning my house (which is MUCH needed) and get out to run and then leave myself time to blog. Ya know something always has to give when you run around like a chicken with your head cut off... and for me, that is maintaining this blog. I wanted to do the blog to help encourage myself to keep running. But I have found that since most of my friends and many of my acquaintances know about my plight, that has been enough to keep me motivated. The last thing I want to say is, "No, I didn't run today, because....". Even when my really bad hangover the other day made me feel like my head would explode with every step (hangovers killing my goal would be the lamest excuse of all...)

So, anyway... I'd better get ready for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment