Friday, July 30, 2010

I almost forgot...the routine!

Today is the first day that I actually almost forgot to go take a run (day 211)! It was like it just slipped my mind. I got home from work and I was tired and not feeling well. I had all this stuff to do to get ready for family to visit and then for traveling to the beach. I was cleaning, and paying bills and hanging out with Atticus. I was starting to think about what I should make for dinner, and then I remembered... I hadn't even been out to run yet! I guess it has become such a part of my routine that I sort of take it for granted. So, anyway, I went out at about 7:50 and had the absolute BEST run that I have had in a while. It was soooo nice out, the air was warm but not too humid. The neighborhood has that slight transitional hush of people moving from their work days into their down time. Traffic is slow and sparse. The lightening bugs were starting to come out and I had the most idyllic, relaxing, rejuvenating run. It reminded me what I love about running. I was able to run for 6 miles before the sun's setting made me feel like I should turn home. I really, really, really needed that kind of a run! And to think I almost forgot! I guess I would have gone at anytime that I remembered, but at 10:30 would've been really tough.

On day 209, I learned that if you go running right, and I mean right, after a thunderstorm has ended and before the sun comes out again fully, you can have an enjoyable, cool run. But the window is short. When I went out after the storm, I did five miles, and that last mile to mile and a half started to climb in temperature, and with the beauty of cool air that comes with the thunderstorm, the humidity kicks in fully! Small window.

Day 210 was pretty uneventful. I had to squeeze in a four miler quickly before having a "date" night with Atticus. A routine run... as many of them have been. Kind of like brushing your teeth every night or feeding the dogs every morning. Routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment