Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter Wonderland?

UGH!!!!! I am sick of running in the snowy, icy, slushy winter! On Tuesday, I slipped and fell. Fortunately, I roll/fell onto my back and didn't cause any damage to myself, just my ego. My pace is hindered by all of the ice and slush. Four miles takes me 40 minutes right now! Yesterday, Jacob and I went out on a run and it ended up just being frustrating. It wasn't too cold out, thankfully, but the conditions were so poor. We did a long run, time wise, but we probably only covered six miles. And much of the route we planned had to be abandoned because the streets were so bad. It's like the city of Asheville is still in the 1940's and doesn't know how to scrape and clear the streets. We had to run in the middle of the road and compete with cars (they always win!). It has the unfortunate effect of taking away the stress relief aspect of exercise. I feel like we got a good run, but I was more irritated when it ended. So, today I stayed in the neighborhood, again. And while I have the streets that are okay for running down, it is boring and it is hard to go much more than four miles without having to make laps. And I hate laps. The cemetery ends up being the easiest place to run, oddly enough. And I don't think my last two days are going to be any better. Perhaps by Friday (which is supposed to be in the 50's) the roads and sidewalks will be clear enough for me to do a good run that I can enjoy all around! And then I will have to think long and hard about running outside in the "winter wonderland" in the future. Damn, it is amazing how quickly a year can pass.... it's almost crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment