Tuesday, August 31, 2010

computer glitches and running bitches

My computer was attacked by a nasty virus (thank you, children!). So, I was without my computer for two weeks. It worked intermittently but only enough for me to do any work I had to do or answer emails, and that, just barely. Now, though, I do believe that things are worked out (thank you, wonderful IT guy, Clint!) and I am back up and running (no, I did not stop physically running just my computer). So, during my technology hiatus, I kept notes on my handy-dandy clipboard that I use to try and keep my mind organized and my list of things to do in order (it doesn't always work). Here are the highlights: For one thing, I love writing things by hand. For whatever reason, actually writing, in script or print, is more satisfying to me than typing. I don't know why, I guess I am old school. Alright, so anyway... my birthday. Good day. Pilates. Excellent six mile run up toward Sunset (not all the way up because that is tough). Hour and a half massage... followed by tequila shots (this last part being a BAD idea). So, the next day... hung over, tired running... NOT fun... weather was pretty, did four pretty slow and sad miles... felt old. Then the next few days were filled with child centered, let's get ready for school activities, most of my runs were between four and a half and five and a half miles (the land of "comfortable" running I have apparently fallen in to). So, then one afternoon, we go to the pool (Tuesday, 8/24 day 236). I decided to run to the pool to meet everyone. I did the hilly helatious run up into the University and down and around UNCA, it was TOUGH. But so much fun. The best part was that I was actually really tired (the good, after exercising a bunch, tired). I changed into my bathing suit and just chilled for the rest of the afternoon, it was very pleasant. Then I had some 4.5 milers for the next few, mom and wife fun filled days. Then my loooong weekend descended upon me. I had to work a double on Friday (14 hours on my feet). I got up and ran early. Just did four miles because I knew I would be on my feet all day. Fine run, absolutely GORGEOUS morning!!! I mean Asheville this time of year is phenomenally wonderful. I know there are other gorgeous places in the world, but this is one I get to live in! So, then Saturday morning I had to wake up and open the coffee shop AND train new staff (which is tiring). I stayed up hanging with Jacob until 2am and then woke up at 6am. I was fine training my newbie and doing my work, etc. and then round about 2:30 I just started to fade. I was whooped! I mean whooped!!! Seriously. I felt like I had been up for days and days (I know, I'm a wimp). Anyhow, I tried to take a little catnap, my children thought otherwise, so I got up and decided I should try and get my run out of the way. Let me just tell you I do not remember a run being so hard. I know back in the winter when I had that head cold that it was pretty tough to run, but for some reason this seemed tougher (probably because the winter seems so far away). It took me twenty minutes, TWENTY MINUTES, of walking to even convince myself to run. And then it took me fifty minutes, FIFTY MINUTES, to run four miles, of a relatively flat route. During the run I was dreaming about falling and twisting my ankle, so I could stop. Or hitting my knee really hard so I could give up. Fortunately, I hate pain, so I did not cause any of these things to happen. In fact, I was so tired I ran extra cautiously (I mentioned it took me 50 minutes, right). That was day 240 and I kept having to remind myself that all I have left is 125 days. Today, it wasn't helping. Alright, I have to go now, but I will continue this "catch up" hopefully in the next few days. All I have to say is that day 240 currently sticks out in my mind as the worst. And I hope it stays that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment